Janet's musings

A collection of thoughts, ideas, and meditations. (a.k.a. the randomness that goes through my head)

Friday, January 06, 2006

Jane Fonda I am not

Man I am hungry. This whole eating better and working out shit sucks. Not that I am starving myself or anything here. Really, it's all in my twisted little head. See, I normally wouldn't want to eat anything at 10:45am, but the fact that I can't makes me want to. It's like when your parents tell you that smoking is disgusting but you do it anyway (even if you aren't interested in it) just to spite them. Well, something like that is going on with me. Except it's my stomach messing with my brain. The working out thing isn't really a big deal. I was doing pretty good with it last year until about the time I started dating E. Then we just sat on our butts. Well, sort of.

Anyway, I gradually just stopped going so I'm going to start again because I have no excuse now. Plus, I figured I'd start lifting weights. Hmm, that was really interesting. First off, I probably haven't lifted weights since high school so my muscles are understandably a bit weak. The first machine I sat down at was biceps curls. I had no idea how much weight to put on there so I just moved the peg down 4 thinking that I'm not strong but surely I'm not that weak. Well, I went to pick that thing up. Holy cow, I thought my wrist were going to break off. It's really quite sad. Later, a "real" weightlifter mentioned to me that the machine I used was actually one of the harder ones. Whatever that means. But I guess it does make me feel better.

What doesn't make me feel better is that when this rather large woman (think 450-500lb) and her friend came in they looked at me and gave me the look. Then large woman turns to friend and whispers (rather loudly) "At least I'm not the only big woman in here." Umm, was she referring to me. I mean, I'm no skinny girl by any means, but I sure as hell wouldn't put myself in the same category as a 500lb woman. So me being the evil person I am decided to follow the same circuit as her and loudly add more weights to each machine to show her that I am clearly in better shape than her. Sad I know, but admit it. We all do that no matter how big we are we always look around the room and see who is fatter than us to make us feel better. I'm just a little tired of being that person. I guess I am doing my part by raising others' self-esteem though.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home