Janet's musings

A collection of thoughts, ideas, and meditations. (a.k.a. the randomness that goes through my head)

Wednesday, April 27, 2005

What?!

Well, this is probably some sort of record or something, I am writing twice in a week. This coming on a 13-hour day today. Basically, I figure if I'm gone for 13-hours, I don't need to do any more work tonight. Oh, something amazing happened to me today. I actually forgot to eat. It was the strangest thing. I was working in the lab and then gave a presentation and then finally at 5pm at my review session I realized that I forgot lunch. I remember my advisor last year used to say that she would forget to eat and I thought that was crazy. I guess I'm crazy. Although, I made up for not eating all day by getting fast-food for dinner and drinking wine now (hey, I gotta wind down somehow).

Here's something funny that happened on my way home tonight. I was sitting at a red light and the car stopped next to me just suddenly drove through. I know we've all seen someone drive through a red light, but what was weird about this was that he was stopped and then just suddenly decided to drive through. There was no green arrow and the light was still green from the other direction. The guy just decided that he'd sat long enough and drove through. What was funny was that the next light was red so when my light turned green, I stopped next to him at the next light. I mean, the guy didn't save any time. I was cracking up when I pulled up next to him and he looked at me like I was crazy. I guess this is a "you had to be there" story isn't it?

Okay, here's an issue I've wanted to write about for a long time, but never quite knew what to say, but I'll give it a shot. I'm talking about gun laws. A couple of weeks back, I started thinking about this because a student group on campus held a raffle for a semi-automatic assault rifle. This was just a fundraiser for them and they say nothing strange about it (it was a fundraiser for a conservative newspaper, not that the specifics matter). Needless to say, many people were upset by this. Now, I understand that people have the right to own guns. But my personal opinion is that they were raffling off guns to immature, drunk, frat boys who had never owned guns. These types of guys don't seem mature enough to me to handle guns. The guy who won the gun had never owned a gun and didn't have a permit. He obviously had to fill out the paper work to get it. The part that really offended me was that the people in charge of the raffle said that if everyone had a guns, this would prevent rape. Actually, here's his quote, "God made man and woman," stated Observer editor Leo Buchignani in a March 31 press release about the AK-47 raffle. "Smith and Wesson made them equal. For the first time in history, handguns neutralize the male strength advantage over women. I don't understand why all feminists don't arm themselves." So, correct me if I'm wrong but isn't he saying that since me are naturally superior to women, we must arm ourselves. Ok, come on, tell me that isn't offensive. Here's a link to the article. Then I heard this morning about the new law signed in Florida by the other Bush that allows people to "defend themselves" on the street and not just in their house. The allows people to "meet force with force, including deadly force if they reasonably believe it is necessary to do so." Okay, define "reasonably believe it is necessary" because to me, I bet some drunk guys (or girls) are going to get into bar fights and threaten each other. If said drunk happens to have a gun, he may "believe it necessary" to shoot the other guy. I really don't see this helping anyone. I know the idea is to allow "victims" to arm themselves against criminals, but honestly, most victims of violent crimes and rapes know their assailant. And if they don't, do you think they will think clearly enough to be able to shoot them? I know I probably wouldn't. I'm not saying that I think people shouldn't be allowed to own guns, I just think there should be some sort of class you should have to take before you own a gun. Hell, you have to take a class before you get a driver's license.

Okay, I'm getting long winded here. Please leave your opinion and feel free to disagree with me.

2 Comments:

  • At 9:38 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    That quote by the Observer editor makes me want to throw up. Don't you think there's a problem with a world where you need a GUN to keep safe? I sure do.
    And you know, it's also insulting to men, to think that the only thing stopping them from raping women is the chance that woman in question might shoot them. Men aren't raving animalistic raping lunatics, and women aren't weak, rape-prone, helpless lash batters. Who need to carry guns.

     
  • At 11:21 AM, Blogger readhead said…

    That article is just messed up. No more to say on that...

     

Post a Comment

<< Home