Janet's musings

A collection of thoughts, ideas, and meditations. (a.k.a. the randomness that goes through my head)

Tuesday, March 15, 2005

Discrimination

So, something happened to me to today that I just had to address. That's right, I was discriminated against based on my skin color. Oh yes, it was awful. Those of you who know me, may ask, but Janet you are white. Indeed! That my friends is the problem. Here's what happened. I went to the Lancome counter at a nearby department store. It is now that special time of year. Free gift time. So, I went armed with my credit card and ready to make my purchase. I told them what I wanted and what color I needed. The girl said, "Sorry, we don't have the makeup in that light color. What to try another color?" Okay, so why would I want to try a darker color of makeup (powder)? Wouldn't I look orange? So I asked when they would have some. She said that she didn't know because it was such a light color they rarely had any. Okay, so I asked if I could pay now so I could get my free gift and come back and pick it up when they got a new shipment. She said "No, it doesn't work that way." Then she offered me a free sample. Okay that's nice, I look at it. Wrong color. What the hell?! Aren't these people supposed to be makeup experts? Shouldn't they know if I wear that color I'll look like a freak?

I know some people may be offended by this entry. Trust me, that is not my intention. I am being completely honest. I was offended. This is not the only time something like this happened to me. I was with my friend when she was trying on wedding dresses. While she was in the dressing room, I was chatting with the sales woman. We were talking about dresses and then she tells me, "You really shouldn't wear a white dress when you get married because you are so pale." I was shocked. I mean, I don't really want a "traditional" wedding, but seriously. Why should I not be able to wear white if I want to? Now, if I ever get married, I am going to be terrified that the dress looks horrible because of this woman. The summer is the worst. Every year I hear people say, "Have stayed inside all summer? You are so pale." No, I haven't stayed inside all summer. I have used sunscreen and/or simply cannot get tan. It just doesn't happen for me. I am hoping to go tanning for a brief time before my exciting summer trip just so that I don't get burned to a crisp. Before I do that though, I must go to the doctor to have them check out a suspicious spot (ie mole) on my back. I have this despite wearing sunscreen.

Okay, I'm off my soapbox.

1 Comments:

  • At 9:39 PM, Blogger readhead said…

    Yea Janet posted. All is right with the world again! Good post too. Us pale skin people are discriminated against and poorly represented in the media!

     

Post a Comment

<< Home