Janet's musings

A collection of thoughts, ideas, and meditations. (a.k.a. the randomness that goes through my head)

Friday, January 07, 2005

I'm Back!

Wow, I can't believe it's been three weeks already. I feel like I was so busy during my time off, but I honestly can not remember what I did. All I know is that I spent three weeks away from the computer which is actually pretty damn amazing considering my email obsession. Of course now I have about a hundred emails I have to go through and delete.

I spent the first few days of my break in Rockford trying to get acquainted with my future hometown. I think it'll be a good place to live. It's easy to get to (good for my parents) and all of the shopping areas, hospitals, etc. are easily accessible (good for me). Now all I have to do is try to find a decent apartment on my meager budget. That should be fun. We looked at some low-income apartments that were close to the hospital. Granted I qualify for them (sad isn't it) but I'm not sure I want to live in one. They seemed nice especially for the price. They are definately nicer than some of the places I've lived during undergrad, but I just don't know how I feel about living in a low-income neighborhood. I'm not being snobby, I just am not sure how safe it'll be. I'll have to look into it.

I spent a couple of days fattening up at my parent's before going to visit my sister and the little ones. They are as cute and ornery as ever. And of course they were sick. So guess what? That's right, I got sick, too. This was no ordinary cold either. This was one of those lingering sicknesses. It started round about New Year's Eve and I'm finally slept through the night without coughing and/or puking last night. Fun stuff, huh? So I had a fun New Year. I went to sleep at about 9:30, but luckily for me, my coughing had me up just before midnight so I was able to ring in the New Year with my parent's cats. Funny thing is, I'm not really disappointed about not being able to go out. I'm actually glad that I had an excuse so that when I tell people that I went to sleep early on New Year's they feel sorry for me rather than think I'm a loser. Of course, maybe they'd feel sorry for me if they thought I was a loser too. My sickness did give me some time to catch up on my reading though. Of all of the interesting books I read, I had two favorites.

-Sex, Time and Power: How women's sexuality shaped human evolution by Leonard Shlain. Very interesting take on evolution. I really enjoyed it. Probably won't be everyone's cup of tea, but if you're interested in evolution or even feminist's topics you may like it. It's scientific but doesn't read like a textbook.
-The Five People You Meet in Heaven by Mitch Albom. Although I'm not sure where I stand on the whole religion/heaven thing, this is a very interesting view on what heaven might be like. Even if you're not into religion, it makes you think about why we are all here. Good if you want I quick read (I finished it in a night).

Well, gotta go finish clearing off all of my junk from my bed so that I can go to sleep. I'm really enjoying the peace and quiet ;)

2 Comments:

  • At 10:25 PM, Blogger manogirl said…

    Hey Janet--
    Shlain's other book (or one of this other books), The Alphabet and the Goddess is really really good too.
    I might just pick up the one you read based on your recommendation. Just my cup of tea---I should have read it ages ago!

     
  • At 1:16 PM, Blogger Katie said…

    Yay Janet! Welcome back! We should talk sometime again....Missed you while you were away from the computer.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home