Janet's musings

A collection of thoughts, ideas, and meditations. (a.k.a. the randomness that goes through my head)

Monday, February 27, 2006

not again

Man, I got so frustrated at clinic today. You know, that seems to be a recurrent thing, me being frustrated. But anyway, here's what happened. All of the M2's at clinic are supposed to take turns throughout the year spending a day shadowing the other departments. This means on your day, you don't see patients you just follow the nurses and medical records staff around. Since my last name begins with Z, guess who was the last person to do this. Everyone else had their day off already and today was mine turn. So of course at 3:45 the nurse comes in and tells me that she just gave me a patient. Nice, we are supposed to be out of there by 4:30. No way is that going to happen. Now some of you may be thinking, what's the problem. That's 45 minutes, it shouldn't take that long. Well, you would be wrong. Because I go in and see the patient first, which takes maybe 20 minutes. But then, I have to present my patient to the doctor and then he must see the patient. Most patients are scheduled for 1 1/2 hours. So I grab the chart and go in the room. Turns out she has a sore throat. That's it. Okay, so the nurses already did a strep test (which was kinda pointless because it's unlikely someone over 40 would have strep) so it was pretty easy. I was in and out of there by about 4:10. Well, then I have to wait about 45 minutes for the doctor to be free so I can present and he can see the patient. Here's the frustrating part. I know for a fact that this is viral and there is nothing we can do besides tell her to drink fluids, try a throat lozenge and take ibuprofen. But, I have to wait for the doctor. So after so much waiting, he asks me what I think it is and what we should do. I tell him, he says "You're right." Then we went for him to tell the patient. I guess it's just frustrating because I could have told the patient that and saved all of us some time. Anyway, so I left clinic late on my "easy" day. Damn it.

The only thing that could be worse is if I get that damn virus and am sick over my long weekend this week. That would be my luck.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home